With the release of Exalting Jesus in Matthew by David Platt, 2 Volumes of Christ-Centered Exposition are now available. There are 38 more to follow addressing all 66 books of the Bible. On the inside cover one will read, “Dedicated to Adrian Rogers and John Piper. They have taught us to love the gospel of Jesus Christ, to preach the Bible as the inerrant Word of God, to pastor the Church for which our Savior died, and to have a passion to see all nations gladly worship the Lamb.” We have received several kind encouragements from the Rogers family, and we received the following note from Dr. Piper:
Thank you for the amazing gift and honor of the dedication of the series to Adrian Rogers and me…I am stunned. I still feel like that little boy back in junior high and high school so insecure and unable to speak in front of a group larger than two or three of my friends. I still feel like a deeply imperfect preacher, and pastor and husband and father and friend. I feel like those who honor what I do must not know me well enough.
So you can feel perhaps some of my amazement at this tribute. I receive it (as I am sure Adrian Rogers would) with wonder and thankfulness to you all and to the Lord Jesus who, as Paul says, has stood by me and enabled me to proclaim his word. I love his word. I want to live in it and by it and for it till I am home with Him.
May God give you all grace and wisdom and strength and joy in the editing of this series for his great name.
Gratefully and amazed,
Some might be surprised that we would couple these two men for our dedication. We, on the other hand, would be surprised if persons did not see why we did! Sure, they had differences on certain theological issues. We are well aware of that. But, they agreed on far more! Both men, without stammering or stuttering believe:
1) The inerrancy, infallibility, authority and sufficiency of the Bible.
2) In the Triune God who is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent.
3) God as Creator and reject naturalistic evolution as nonsense.
4) In both the dignity and depravity of man.
5) In the full deity, perfect humanity and sinlessness of Jesus the Son of God.
6) In the penal substitutionary nature of the atonement as foundational for understanding the cross work of our Savior.
7) The good news of the gospel as the exclusive and only means whereby any person is reconciled to God.
8) The biblical nature of a regenerate church witnessed in believer’s baptism by immersion.
9) Salvation is by grace alone thru faith alone in Christ alone for the glory of God along.
10) The reception of the Holy Spirit is at the moment of regeneration/conversion and that the blessing of spiritual gifts are for the building up of the body of Christ.
11) In the literal, visible and historical return of the resurrected Jesus Christ to this earth when He will manifest fully His kingdom.
12) In the reality of an eternal heaven and an eternal hell with Jesus as the only difference.
13) In a “sanctity of life” ethic from conception to natural death.
14) In the sanctity of heterosexual marriage, the goodness of sex in marriage and the gift of children, lots of them!
15) In the complementary nature of male/female relationships rejoicing in the divine ordering of them for the home and the church; and my list could go on.
These two “warriors for the faith” are role models worthy of consideration and emulation in the pattern of 1 Corinthians 11:1. We see a lot of Jesus in both men. It is a joy and privilege to honor them. They both deserve our gratitude and thanks for all that they have done for the glory of Christ and the good of His Church and the nations.