God has so constructed the inward man that he has emotional and physical needs that can only be met by affirmation, acceptance as to intrinsic worth, encouragement, and unconditional love. We all have the desire and need to receive “The blessings” from others. Others include both our heavenly Father and earthly brothers and sisters. Neither is to be excluded if we are to receive true holistic blessings(s).
The essential elements include:
1) A meaningful touch – This includes handholding, hugging, kissing, and all types of bodily contact that have the purpose of communicating love and affection.
2) A spoken word – This element can demonstrate love and a sense of worth by the time involved, and the message(s) delivered. Its repetitive nature is crucial.
3) Expression of high value – This involves our passing along a message to others that affirms their intrinsic worth and value as persons. Praising others as valuable is the key idea.
4) Picturing a special future – This is the uniquely prophetic aspect. What do our words tell others we believe the future holds for them? How do our present descriptions (nicknames) of others lay the foundation for future attitudes and actions on their part? How often it is that children fulfill the earlier expectations and predictions of a parent and friends, for good and bad. Positive words of encouragement as to future possibilities are those which will bless rather than curse.
5) An active commitment to see the blessing come to pass – This characteristic is both God-ward and man-ward. Godwardly, we are to commit others to His blessing and will. Manwardly, we are personally to make the commitment to spend whatever time, energy and resources are necessary to bless others.
From Gary Smalley and John Trent, The Blessing
For more in this series, see here.