#3) Southern Baptists have a hopeful future is we will pursue a genuinely Word based ministry that is theological in content and on fire in delivery. (2 Tim 4:1-5)
We live in a biblically illiterate culture that increases year by year. Sadly, Southern Baptists have not been immune to this spiritual malady. Even with the gains of the Conservative Resurgence, we have not seen a wide spread revival of biblical exposition in our churches. This is both surprising and disappointing to many of us. Now, I am encouraged by what I see as a real hunger for biblical/theological exposition in the younger generation. It is ravenous. At the same time I am discouraged that so many of their models are non-Southern Baptists. Think Alistair Begg, Mark Driscoll, John MacArthur, James McDonald, and John Piper. Thankfully, I can now add to these wonderful expositors men like Andy Davis, Mark Dever, J.D. Greear, Tony Merida, James Merritt, Al Mohler, David Platt, Jimmy Scroggins, Stephen Rummage, and Jim Shaddix. This tribe must increase across our convention of churches if we are to have a healthy and fruitful future. So, what needs to happen? Six quick suggestions.
1) We need seminaries that teach an expositional model.
2) We need pastor/theologians who model exposition.
3) We need ministers of the Word who preach the whole counsel of God’s Word (book, chapter, verse, phrase, word).
4) We need preachers who value the calling of being a theologian.
5) We need men who are gospel saturated in their ministry of the Word who are faithful to proclaim Christ each and every time they stand to teach the Word of God.
6) We need in our pulpits engaging expositors who are on fire as heralds of the unsearchable riches of Christ. Nothing is more exciting than theology. Nothing is more relevant than doctrine. No one is more beautiful than Christ. To proclaim these glorious truths in a dispassionate or boring manner is inexcusable. It is, I believe, sinful. If Southern Baptists have a future it will be rooted in the Word. If Southern Baptists experience a Great Commission Resurgence it will find its life blood in the Word.